Wednesday 3 February 2016

2011 & 2012
I began my new school, SN (St. Nicholas), the first day was nothing but easy.
I was in a class without any friends and I had to switch my class later on, but my only three friends from Chung Ming: Denmark, Arsen and Grimm were in Z1 class and I was in Z2. 
The only supposed acquaintances I had were Jedediah and Crystal.
Mr. Lonely
I bonded with Crystal because we were the only two of Chinese descent in the class and speaking Mandarin made it felt like Chung Ming again, which during those times were heaven.
Jedediah is nice to me too mainly because I was the only other guy from Chung Ming and also I can't speak Malay at all at that time so he pitied me.
The school's new rules were very constricting than in my previous school, your hair can't be long enough to cover your eyebrows, you had to listen to them say their prayers everytime a teacher walks in and out of the class room, no long fingernails, getting blacklisted for being late and everyone spoke Malay, a language I dread as a school subject and a language I have yet to master.
Because of these school rules, the sudden isolation from familiar friends and the fact that I have to wear a hot songkok (cap) to school everyday made me cry on that night.
My mother comforted me and promised she will see with the principal to change me back to Z1 class. The principal's verdict was that if my end of year exam grades were high enough, I will get promoted to a higher class because apparently the Z1 class is smarter.
That gave me hope for the year.
Until, in 2011 for the first and only time, there was no end of year exams, of course I was excited that there was no need to study and cram. At that point I already got used to the school's customs and I made some other friends in my class, I guessed I didn't mind.
Introduction to Masculinity
The biggest pain was not the new school procedures however but the continued quest to adulthood and learning what is society and why it is sooooo important to fit in.
I was obviously feminine, like so obvious. My mannerisms, hand gestures and general fear of getting blacken by the sun, thank you Asian skin. Apparently this was not okay.
And when I was of other race in a place where another race dominates and overpopulates, I got my first glimpse at what is Racism.
Insults after insults, I also learned what suicide is and what compels us to do so during these two years.
It did not help that in assemblies and functions, males and females had to be seated separately, without Crystal and Jedediah speaking Malay to his Malay friends I was alone and sad.
When I wasn't being ignored by the "cool" gang of my class which consists of Warren, Alex, Ali, Yang, Null and Wilbur, I was the topic they used constantly, laughing behind my back.
And the worst thing is that I can't be mad at all of them, after explaining to Jedediah, he told me that Warren is the only dick there that hates my guts with a burning passion for no reason. The rest just followed suit because they had no one and nothing else to do.
The racism and the feminine insults were the worst things I've ever heard. I always wished that I got that scholarship in Primary 6 so I would be in UK and not deal with these bitches.
I was honestly shocked at racist comments the most, because in my lifetime of eleven years I never thought you could hate someone because of something that insignificant and that they can't change.
Which made me sympathize Parvati, my Indian friend in Chung Ming who was also in Z1 and was bullied because of her skin color.
One time, the bullying got so over the top that I was hit on the head by my own ruler and that ruler was thrown at me. It didn't hit me but it left a nick on my "I Am Number Four" book cover and that was it. For the first time in my life I confronted my haters.
I walked up to Warren and sat at an empty chair in front of him and calmly asked him full of malice in my voice but still as graceful why he wanted to used my property to vandalize my other property. Like a coward he denied it and even Alex came over and defended him. But I had already won, what more can you say to a silent coward?
Another time, for some reason Jedediah hit me with a file, it barely hurt but I went to my obvious reaction everyone in my former school knew too well about, I cried and went to my table and covered my face. But for the first time it didn't work. Sympathy was not shown and everyone just ignored the situation like it was awkward. I stopped my crocodile tears and was like Fuck, what is wrong with these people?
A few years later when I talked with Jedediah about this situation, he too was shocked and was about to comfort me out of the sheer fear of being shunned by the other classmates for being a bully. I suppose that was a learning experience for the both of us. I learned to be stronger and hate this school even more and he learned how much he fit in and liked this school.
Another occurrence was when after I came out to Jed on 2014, he told me that in 2012, one of the teachers actually asked Jedediah as we always hung out with each other during those times that whether I was homosexual and if I was, I was to sent to counseling. Obviously Jed said I wasn't but his story made me question other people's trust, I mean if you can't even trust teachers, who can you trust?
Honestly, these experience were not as bad as bullying in other countries and even though I was insulted as "gay" they never actually meant homosexuality more like a slur for femininity and there wasn't any physical assaults. However, these two years not only made me stronger emotionally but physically, I changed some of my more softer traits such as fear of getting sun burn or hand gestures not for the fear and control of society and societal norms but my true self really is a blend of masculinity and femininity, this is who I truly am and it took two years of raw societal reality to get there.
Reading Is Magic
Books.
I loved books when I was in primary and loved them even more during these two years. 
Like I said, at some points there was always going to be me alone, whether it's because I can't communicate with girls or my lack of social skills.
My love of books came from buying my first book at Popular Bookstore. It was "Peronel's Magic Polish" by Enid Blyton. I actually read it mostly at restaurants whilst waiting for my food to arrive or after the meal and the adults began talking and I had nothing to do.
Now, in 2011 and 2012 I read almost everyday in school, especially during assemblies where Malay was used.
This directly improved my already amazing English Language skills. My vocabulary increased (flourished, transcended, rose) , my grammar became almost flawless and my confidence for writing compositions and tackling comprehension questions multiplied.
A bad thing such as isolation really can be turned around to a good thing. 
Mr. Brightside
Although these two years in 7Z2 and 8Z2 made me understood what suicide means, they had their merits albeit very slim.
During Year 7 and Year 8, there were no exams, only school projects that are quite simple and not very stressful.
The math school project in particular bonded me and Joshua because at that time his mathematical skills were superior to mine but you still have to explain your findings in English which was my contribution.
Not only that, in the future years where there were exams my new school only had two, Mid-Year and Finals as opposed to Chung Ming's four, First term, Mid-Year, Third term and Finals.
In 2011, there wasn't even a final exam at all.
Thus, those two years, my brain finally had a vacation from the constant stress of exams and studying in my former school.
It felt nice to be able to enjoy watching Pokemon anime non-stop after enduring another stupid day at school.
Social Skills
So what if half of Z2's class's boys was in a stupid gang or "geng" that hated me.
I still had my trump card, after 8 years of talking exclusively to girls in Chung Ming, I learned their psychology and could communicate with girls without it being awkward or uncomfortable.
Sure may be Jedediah's ego comforted him and he does talk to girls at time and let's me know that he can do the same thing but a few exchanging of sentences per week is not enough.
I talked to some of the Malay girls and some of them I still wave and have conversations with during my O'Level years.
I had a little squad of girl_friends which was Crystal and Rebecca.
They were the people that I talked to when teachers didn't come to class and during class breaks.
Although, the relationship was not very good as both of them have such beautiful egos that they expect me to go and talk to them as our class separated the sexes (obviously).
At least I still had my books and one time, Crystal even came over and ask why I don't talk to them for two days, I almost shouted at her to stop being such a queen and diva and come and talk to ME if she wants to gossip. I was giving her a taste of her own medicine and the fact that the book I was reading was intriguing was a bonus.
Slowly (probably 2012) I learned that males were not that bad. For some odd reason, I got really friendly with Yang for two days because Warren was sick and Yang was his total lackey.
I had no idea what happened, we just talked, I kept hinting him to be my best friend but then Warren came back and that was that.
Waldon and Asher were my very good friends in class, they spoke English and they had interesting topics to talk about. 
During the last few days of 2012/ Year 8, I was forced to go to school eventhough they had activities but I was to practice for the Wordplay Competition, after getting in trouble in discipline and socializing with Null and Wilbur, I felt good that in these two years I learned know how to talk to males.
Mr. Player
The first crush I had was Lily.
She was pretty, kind, cute and lovable. She had big eyes and adorable front teeth that sticks out just a bit.
Of course being kids and the fact that I was not presentable meant that we didn't date, but she knew and everybody in class too.
Then when in SN, I was shocked to realize I had a crush on my friend Rowena who's also from Chung Ming. But later on I realize, it was only because I really missed Chung Ming at that period of time and I always talked to her, craving the old ways of speaking Mandarin to girls when I was in Chung Ming.
My first girlfriend ever was Grimm, one of my best friend and god-sister now.
I actually asked her on a cleaning day where I could walk about to other classes with the intention of experiencing a relationship and it's struggles and that it will be fun.
She actually agreed, but I suddenly thought it would be too fast and that we should start at a special time may be even on my birthday.
Then I went back to her class and asked her to be my girlfriend. That was probably my first YOLO moment and I didn't even know what YOLO means at that time.
We dated for a week and I was content and happy for no reason, but we never had much contact being in different classes and all. We really had contact on a field trip at the end of the week. I wanted to hold hands and she was scared of teachers seeing and she was in charge of a "special" student and it was pulling us apart so we broke up in the bus.
I even withheld money I owe her because I was still sad the next day.
Sometime after that, I had a sudden love for her and even treated her a meal before asking her again even though she had a boyfriend, I thought my awesome proposal was going to make her break up with the guy. But no, she's too faithful, how rude.
Nowadays, me and Grimm are good friends even though our break up made me cry.
Conclusion
These two years were awful but necessary for the growth of me.
I'm glad I didn't go back to Chung Ming, God knows how I would've turned out.
Would I go through these two years again? Hell NO, but I'm glad I stuck through it and learned valuable life lessons in the end, those two years shaped me to be myself and I am not someone who gets bullied and doesn't fight back or bitch about the person behind their back.

No comments:

Post a Comment